Why Long-Distance Caregivers Seek Professional Help
During the holiday season families and friends visit aging loved ones. Frequently this is the time when they discover troubling changes in the health, behavior, or physical appearance of their family member. Many will discover their aging loved one now needs more help or attention. Springwell’s Private Geriatric Care Management Program offers a below-market rate solution for long-distance caregivers – those who live a significant distance from a person who needs care.
A recent survey by the Aging Life Care Association (all Springwell PGCM staff, like those shown above, are members), shows that over 30% of an Aging Life Care Professional’s case load involves families attempting to coordinate care for a loved one from a distance.
The 382 participants revealed the top reasons why long-distance caregivers seek help from geriatric care managers. The data show that professionals are contacted most often by long-distance caregivers when:
- There is a crisis or emergency (76%)
- Making a visit sees significant changes in health, behavior, or home maintenance (57%)
- There is a need to explore placement options or relocation (41%)
- Consultation about how to best help their parent and/or family (87%)
- Assessment and care planning (83%)
- Ongoing oversight/monitoring of care (75%)
- Routine communication and status updates to out-of-town family (68%)
- Arranging for home care services (68%)
Survey respondents offered examples of long-distance caregiving cases, many echoing the sentiment that working with geriatric care managers reduces stress and helps improve or restore family relationships.
Jo White, LCSW and Director of the Private Geriatric Care Management Program at Springwell, states that “many long-distance caregivers have trusted us to provide the expertise and experience to address the needs of their loved ones. We are passionate about advocating for elders and their families and aim to provide caregivers with peace of mind.”
More information about Springwell’s Private Geriatric Care Management Program.